TTW Map on the STARCRAFT 2 Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TTW Map on the STARCRAFT 2 Engine

Post by Sharezta on 14/1/2011, 19:48

Hello everyone here on the new TTW forum

I am probably currently very unknown to most of the community since i have been AFK for some time between map patch 5.4 and 5.48

Im from South Africa and play only on Twilight currently. This is not an introduction post at all but as I am very unknown I am just getting some simple facts about me out of the way.

NB....I did not know where to post this topic on the forum...maybe under suggestions, I do not know but please move it to the appropriate section as soon as possible.

OK now for the point to my post Tongue

Ever since I started playing TTW.....I LOVED IT....and I made a point of becoming as good as I possibly could. With some great help from 2 of the current beta tester (you know who you are) I think i can officially say that I am now a decent player.

I recently purchased STARCRAFT 2 and have now decided to create a replica terrain on the awesome new Starcraft 2 Engine.
I am in the very very early stages of the terrain design and am basically approaching everyone here including the Beta team for help as I personally think it would be a great feature on the SC2 Battle.net 2 map list.

The reason I am not doing this solo is because although I am a second year c# programmer i have no knowledge of programming in the SC2 map editor. Since the beta team deals with these sorts of things I thought they might like to jump on the wagon and see what we can come up with.

I am a rather arty person and I strongly believe that I can create a map that looks amazing using the SC2 map editor and I am basically approaching the beta team here to take this opportunity to see if we can make something happen.

any suggestions or comments are more than welcome

From a HUGE TTW supporter

Sharezta/ShidokatO

("""\(--_--) HEIL

Sharezta

Back to top Go down

Re: TTW Map on the STARCRAFT 2 Engine

Post by MoJo on 14/1/2011, 20:53

There have been talk about TTW going to SC2 but i wont think that it will happen.
Right now i don't think is worth the effort, as lots are still only on warcraft.
Also there is a standalone in progress which will probably make obsolete the war3 map and a possibly future sc2

MoJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharezta on 14/1/2011, 21:02

yeah i spoke to a beta tester online a few minutes ago and he basically said the same thing Smile

thanks for the reply

Sharezta

Back to top Go down

Post by H3katonkheir on 14/1/2011, 21:03

Pre-send Edit; Damn MoJo beat me while I was writing my essay.
A TTW on the STARCRAFT II is a hugely debated topic Wink

In my opinion, I think that it would be a great way to revive TTW, STARCRAFT II is also a much better platform for TTW than Warcraft III.

The major problem is the creation / programming of it. I have spoken to a few people who have tried working with the programming and they say; it's no easy task. The amount of time and effort that is required is huge.

The Beta Team, as awesome as they are, do no (at the moment at least) development on the TTW Map, this is / was done, by D3zmodos, who is probably more focussed on the stand-alone at this stage.

There is still a strict copyright on the TTW 'franchise' (for lack of any decent word) set up by Atrum-Amicus and TeBBuTT, so unless you got permission to create it, it would technically be illegal Tongue
However, I am not discouraging anything!
If you are really keen then, I can speak to TeBBuTT, since our agreement did not cover the aspect of SC II. If I can find some-one who can / wants to (And has the time / patience to do so) program on the SC II engine then it can happen.

I am interested in seeing what you have done (if you want to continue).

As MoJo says though, three TTW games on different platforms could be... redundant.

Ps; This is the correct forum to post this in Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H3katonkheir

http://tropicaltowerwars.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharezta on 14/1/2011, 21:09

yay i got the forum space correct Excited

yeah well if there are no people who can spend the time on it i will in my free time just fix the "TERRAIN" side of things so that maybe one day someone might want to use it, if they like it ofcoarse......

i am no person for law breaking so i will not make any more public announcements about this in public Smile i didnt actually know i was violating any laws but anyway Excited

(i know i havnt applied to be on the staff at all but i figured this might help a little since i want to be on the beta/forum staff with a passion i just havnt had the time to apply officially...sort of did this post in a rush so please excuse the bad grammer)

thanks h3 for the reply....much love

T^S for life

("""\(--_--) HEIL

Sharezta

Back to top Go down

Post by MoJo on 14/1/2011, 21:13

"T^S for life" Smile))

Ask your chieftain for employment with very little pay to the Beta Team.

MoJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharezta on 14/1/2011, 21:20

hehehe im sure you were joking right Excited

about the pay thing?

Sharezta

Back to top Go down

Post by D3zmodos on 15/1/2011, 14:14

There are a number of reasons why I never made a TTW for starcraft:
1) The amount of work to be done is far greater than in wc3 and at the time (being when sc2 was released) I really didnt feel up to doing it all
2) At the time I had been developing TTW (and putting entire days of work into it at a time) and I desperately needed a break from it, hence why I retired from my role as developer.
3)At the time there was no easy way to program in galaxy (sc2's language), you could only use the GUI, something I refuse to do for a number of reasons.

On the topic of the multiple platforms, if you ask me wc3 is dying (or will be soon) and so ttw will go with it. However a standalone is a different affair altogether and SC2 will be around for a long time to come so I dont think that that is SUCH a problem, whichever of the 2 becomes more popular and just be advertised by the other.

On the topic of permissions, give tebb a shout, I'm sure he'll be happy to give his permission. Also, I have a layout in an SC2 map already done, and it almost exactly matches the original layout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D3zmodos

Back to top Go down

Post by }{odge-Podge on 17/1/2011, 08:11

Howsit Tongue

Uhm in reply to D3z's post, I have that map, as I was hoping to get it in on the Development team for SC2.
Anyways, I don't want that work to go to waste, and I am still kinda working on it, although it has officially been put on hold, and I am currently doing matric...

I'd be glad to work with you on it, as I am profficient with GUI, and will learn Galaxy if need be, even though the SC2 Editor's GUI is way better than War3's one... We will just need to get permission from TeBB or AA to continue working on it, and we will need to sort out the Data Editor and so on. Smile

Hope we get your blessing D3z Tongue Wink

PS: Thanks for unlocking the topic H3K Tongue
}{odge-Podge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharezta on 17/1/2011, 11:32

hey everyone thanks for all the replys Smile

Hodge i think it will be cool to work with you on something which i think can be fun since i currently own the game and as you said the engine is WAY better than war 3s engine. Smile

i have some modifications that need to be done on my map which i am trying to get to but its a little difficult with my studies starting on wednesday and stuf so im a little busy. but will get to it in time then maybe send you a copy of some sort and you can check it out Smile

once again thanks for the replies

("""\(--_--) HEIL

Sharezta

Sharezta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/3/2011, 15:50

I am really looking forward to the "stand-alone" version of TTW... I think this is definitely the way to move forward and steer away from an old engine (W3).

Any feedback on this? Have you guys decided which engine to use etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by MoJo on 7/3/2011, 16:42

I am gonna let h3k have the pleasure to explain where the project is right now, but to answer your immediate question : Yes, the engine is decided.

MoJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/3/2011, 16:45

MoJo wrote:I am gonna let h3k have the pleasure to explain where the project is right now, but to answer your immediate question : Yes, the engine is decided.

Woohoo!!! The excitement! The suspense!!!!!

*crazy laugh*

Back to top Go down

Post by MoJo on 7/3/2011, 16:51

Damn, my intention wasn't to create suspense Excited, but to actually answer your question ... so, i try again.
The engine used is UDK (Unreal Development Kit).

MoJo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/3/2011, 16:56

MoJo wrote:Damn, my intention wasn't to create suspense Excited, but to actually answer your question ... so, i try again.
The engine used is UDK (Unreal Development Kit).

Hahahaha, sorry, I had sugar Smile

Have you read about the new Unreal Engine? Might be good to have a look at it since it supports multiple platforms ranging from mobiles to desktops...

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/03/epic-reveals-mind-blowing-unreal-tech-%E2%80%9Cthis-is-our-proposal-for-what-the-next-generation-of-gaming-is-going-to-be%E2%80%9D/

Back to top Go down

Post by MoJo on 7/3/2011, 16:59

In terms of multiple platforms, unreal 3 also supports that.

MoJo

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafMuncher on 7/3/2011, 17:17

I think this should be moved to the stand-alone section, but I'll let H3k decide on that
LeafMuncher

Back to top Go down

Post by stevenjm on 7/3/2011, 17:39

standalone no longer available Wink
stevenjm

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafMuncher on 7/3/2011, 17:42

woops, my bad!
LeafMuncher

Back to top Go down

Post by stevenjm on 7/3/2011, 17:50

[06 / 03]

Added: "Compendium" button in the NavBar.
Removed: "Chat" button from the NavBar.
Removed: Chat page ( "/?pid=3" ). This was a page which solely displayed the shoutbox.
Fixed: Optimised the NavBar, preventing it from showing non-existent buttons.
Changed: Switch "Login" and "Register" NavBar buttons around (guest view).
Removed: "Compendium" Forum under "Tropical Tower Wars Discussion". All content (2 posts) can be viewed through the "Compendium" NavBar button.
Removed: "Stand-Alone Discussion" temporarily. (All access terminated)
stevenjm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/3/2011, 18:00

Heheheh, I think this discussion is kinda over regardless Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stevenjm on 10/7/2011, 09:28

whens new version coming out Smile its 7 months down from "a months time" Smile
stevenjm

Back to top Go down

Post by }{odge-Podge on 17/7/2011, 21:50

Ok, just to end the necro-ing of things that are dead,, like this topic, the SC2 version of the map doesn't seem to be happening at all, so I doubt that it will be in existence for a long while to come, but when it is, it will be announced and put up for download. There are also lots of technical issues that has to do with Blizzard and the actual publishing of SC2 maps, so we'll also have to wait for that stuff to come back.

Otherwise stay hopeful and alive Excited
}{odge-Podge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum